Pages

07 August 2009

Sick Little Obsession

Has anyone ever watched the movie May? If you haven't I suggest it, basically she becomes obsessed with certain people based on what she finds attractive on them. Well anyways, here I am sitting here thinking about hands... yes, hands. For as long as I can remember I always liked looking at hands. Dirty finger nails are gross, long finger nails on boys are gross, nail bitten fingers are gross. However, I am not just obsessed with how nasty some hands are.... I am obsessed with hands in general.



I often find myself checking out peoples hands before I even bother looking at their faces. I notice the shape of their hands, the length and width of fingers, I pretty much probably know what your hand looks like if I have met you. And a little mental photo gallery in my head can probably remember if you have thin long nails or a scar on your thumb. I never really thought about it as an obsession. But then I noticed that I really enjoy looking at hands and thinking about hands and then I started to freak myself out. 'Oh dear god! I am a crazy hand obsessed weirdo! I need help.' But really there isn't anything that NEEDS helping. At least rationally I think that there are people that notice smiles, eyes, butts or whatever other anatomy they 'notice' first when interacting with others so I am not different from them that way. But where does the line get drawn between just thinking and obsessing?

"Obsessive compulsive disorder, it means the compulsive preoccupation of mind with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or unwanted emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of uneasiness. Despite of resistance, such abnormal thoughts and ideas that keep on coming in person's mind, they know that these thoughts are irrational but they can't help it. It can also manifest as an unhealthy preoccupation with a person. It is an irrational motive for performing trivial or repetitive actions, or actions that one would normally not do, against his (or her) expressed will."

I think I should be okay, I think. I mean I don't have a collection of hands in my basement chained up with my gimp or anything yet. But still I do have hands on the mind often the only thing that made me feel uneasy was thinking, "Is my preoccupation with hands unhealthy?" I don't think so... I guess I am strange in that I notice people hands before I move on to the more typical things like hair, eye color, smile or what have you. Someone find me the perfect hands to admire and pull a May! No, no, just kidding! Anyone wanna hold hands though? For realsies?

And here is a story about hands and obsessing over them. Clicky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and sometimes moderated.