Pages

15 September 2014

Friday Fuckin' Sucks

Today started off on the wrong foot.  Or rather it started off without footwear.  My shoes were stolen while I showered at the gym.  I was getting dressed after my workout when I noticed my shoes were missing.

These were a pair of shoes my pop-in-law got me for X-Mas.  Gone.  At 4:30 am, there were only 5 older ladies at the gym.  Klepto grandma strikes again?  I dunno, I had to walk out of the joint barefoot, drive home and call the mister to bring me out a pair to wear to work.  I should have taken this as a sign of the type of day I was to have.


I went to work early in an effort to meet with the electricians and their overlord for some wiring projects.  These were projects that were put on hold over the summer and now need immediate attention.  The overlord flaked, he never met us.  I have a sinking suspicion the electricians will wire as they see fit, but maybe not to the specifications we, as network technicians,  may need.  The writing was on the wall, was it not?  Everything was full of fail and it wasn't even 9am.

I decided to push through my day and get as much work as I could done of a Friday.  I got more than I had expected done for having wasted the majority of my morning.  I felt the day was going to finish off well.  I had planned to meet a local judge to volunteer with him for Empty Bowls.  I actually threw 12 bowls for this charity event.  (More on my pottery progression in a later post.  Needless to say, I am still enjoying pottery.  Not so much slab building as the pottery wheel.)  I figured I may as well fill the bowls that I am throwing for charity by volunteering.  I was with my sister when I met the judge. 

She excused herself from the table for a phone call while I spoke with the judge and a mutual friend.  When she returned she asked me to call a mutual friend (he is actually a close friend of my sisters).  We are not as close friends as my sister is with him.  I immediately knew something was wrong.

"Myles says to call him." - sis
"It's about Roberto isn't it?" - me
"Yeah, Myles just says to call him." - sis
"Something bad happened to Roberto.  Right?" - sis
"He would prefer to tell you what's up." - me

I had a bad feeling about this one.  I found a moment away from the conversation at the table to excuse myself and I called Myles.

On my way out the door I thought:  maybe he got arrested?  maybe he got in a car accident?  maybe, I dunno what?  what could it be?

Myles broke it to me, straight out; no beating around the bush.  My friend who had moved away had hung himself.  He passed on Sunday but had not been found until today.  Five days; FIVE DAYS until found. It's been hard wrapping my head around the situation.  I keep asking myself:  Why?  What was going on in his head?  And then I wondered to myself, are my loved ones ok?  Like, really ok.  Am I missing signs? Am I being perceptive and empathetic enough to keep a loved one from ending their life? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and sometimes moderated.