Pages

13 January 2014

Pottery


So, I'm taking a pottery class with my sister.  I was hesitant to take a class for my enjoyment when there is a little tyrant running loose in my house that needs a watchful eye.  But that's what his dad is there for so I decided to give it a go.

My first class was Wednesday and I thought it would be structured lessons, much to my surprise you just buy your clay and do your own thing.  So our first day of class the teacher recommended a few easy projects to try to get us used to working with the clay.  The evening escape was the mental break I have been needing.  I had fun, I laughed, I made stuff and I felt relaxed.  Relaxation feels like it's a bit harder to obtain these days... more so recently.  I woke up Thursday morning actually happy, smiling and said good morning to everyone I saw on my way to work.  I guess I must have been wound up a bit tight!

The school district Andy attends has Winter Break from 20 December until 22 January.  So he has been home 24-7, nerves are frayed and patience has been wearing thin.  This year I opted not to take time off during the holiday because work is a place I can handle and am comfortable with.  Andy is a wild card that takes active parenting on both fronts to keep him in line, properly engaged during schools down time and at the same time nurture him so he doesn't feel like we are always on his ass about shit.  It IS getting better, very, very, very, slowly.

Pottery is exactly what I needed.  I don't have to think about life.  All I do is work with my hands, think about the moment and create.  So after my first class I figure I should find something difficult to make or think of something awesome.  Otherwise, I will end up just making a slew of ashtrays... and I only really know five smokers.

I'm thinking maybe a wind chime similar to the one below should take me at least a class or two to complete and I can gift it to the MIL, she likes wind chimes.  I might make hers with an ocean motif; she likes Orcas.  I am thinking of trying to make a small teapot, I may be too wet behind the ears to make it look nice AND functional but I should give it a try.  Any suggestions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and sometimes moderated.