Pages

03 June 2014

World Ice Art Championship 2014

The day my sister and I landed in Alaska we planned on visiting the World Ice Art Championship exhibit.  What we failed to plan for was public transportation, the buses do not start running until 9.  So my sister and I decided to walk to the exhibit.  It seems a short 2 mile walk is just not something that is done in Alaska, we got odd stares.  And when people asked how far we had walked to the exhibit they were shocked because it was SO far.  It was a nice, brisk, walk first thing in the morning, by the time we got to the exhibit our faces were very red.  I guess it was a little cold but not so cold we didn't have a blast looking at ice sculptures.
Note to self: Ice is sharp.
 I managed to slice my finger open sliding down this teeny ice slide.  2014 started to warm up sooner than usual in Alaska, so we ended up catching the tail end of the displays.  Several areas were cordoned off or had just melted into strange unrecognizable blobs.  I actually cheated and peeked at the sculptures before going to Alaska so I knew what they were supposed to look like.  The link up top will take you to this year's sculptures.

The stairs were too treacherous to go on this slide.






A little chapel that was too dangerous to enter.








I will be posting a few more Alaskan Adventure pictures in the next few days.  I must admit after going right at the cusp of the temperature change AND the lengthening of day light; I wanna go back during the summer.  And just to round out my experience, I want to try the dead of winter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and sometimes moderated.